Select Page

Malicious Destruction of Property in Michigan covers a host of crimes related to intentionally damaging someone else’s property. For smaller offenses, the case may be charged as a misdemeanor. Malicious Destruction of property causing more than $1000 worth of damages will be charged as a felony. Malicious damage to a motor vehicle and vandalism are felonies which sentencing include a period of driver’s license suspension by the registry of motor vehicles. There are numerous specific Malicious Destruction of Property charges if state property such as bridges, police or fire equipment, trees or even school buses are damaged.

What are the consequences of a Malicious Destruction of Property? Misdemeanor Malicious Destruction of Property charges under $200 are punishable by up to 93 days in jail/ and or $500.00 fine or 3x value of the property that has been damaged. Above $200 of damages resulting in a misdemeanor malicious destruction of property or felony Malicious Destruction of Property charges range between 1 year to 10 years imprisonment and $2,000 to $15,000 in fines, depending on the how much damage was made to the property. Once convicted an offender can be ordered to pay restitution to the victim or any insurance agencies which covered costs of the damaged property.

How can you fight malicious destruction of property charges? Often isolated incidents, meaning the offender has no past record of violent behavior or vandalism, and the offender has a good reputation in the community may be treated with leniency and the ability to plea bargain. For juveniles there are options available such as HYTA, which allows the defendant to rectify his/her mistakes and keep a clean record. Restitution is a key component of plea bargains.

At Rudoi Law, we know how to fight Malicious Destruction of Property charges. We will present the serious, aggressive defense you need. Our experience with the local legal environment can help us define a legal strategy that works best for you and your need for a fair and fast resolution. Contact us right away to get someone on your side who fight for you.