Royal Oak, MI is one of the cities included in the major routes for narcotics trafficking in the United States of America which passes through Canada and other states in interstate trafficking cases. Because of this, the federal and state law against controlled substance trafficking and other felony charges are becoming stiffer and heavier for those accused and/or weighed down with narcotics trafficking charges.
What Are Narcotics Trafficking Charges?
According to the 21 US Code Chapter 1907, when you say narcotics trafficking, it means “any illicit activity to cultivate, produce, manufacture, distribute, sell, finance, or transport narcotic drugs, controlled substances, or listed chemicals, or otherwise endeavor or attempt to do so, or to assist, abet, conspire, or collude with others to do so.”
Narcotic drug trafficking is a felony case, and may come with more serious charges than drug possession. Most narcotics trafficking charges in Royal Oak carry at least 20 years up to life imprisonment with fines ranging from $25,000 to $1,000,000. However, the severity of the penalty may differ depending on the drug quantity found in possession.
Penalties for Trafficking Illegal Drugs
- Less than 50 grams of cocaine = more or less 20 years in prison and $25,000 fine
- 5 – 45 kilograms of marijuana = around 10 years in prison and $500,000 fine
- Any amount of methamphetamines or ecstasy = around 20 years in prison and more or less $25,000 fine
- Penalty also varies if you were selling narcotics around schools, to minors, and if you were carrying a firearm or any amount of cash, and if this is the first offense.
Once you face narcotics trafficking charges, you will surely face the federal law enforcement agencies, such as the Federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), which will increase the severity of your case.
How to Defend Yourself from Charges of Narcotics Trafficking
You can say there’s an unlawful search and seizure activity which targeted you or you may say that the drug belongs to another person, or it can be missing evidence, or you are forced to carry such illicit drugs, and the list continues.
But the question is, “Do you have enough evidence that will justify your innocence?” When faced with a criminal case like this, you need to seek the professional help of a criminal defense lawyer who is knowledgeable on providing you with the needed legal advice and representation in the court.
Your sentence may be shorter depending on the following conditions:
- The exact location of the drugs
- The owner of the place where the drug is found
- The people present when the drug was found
- Other people who had access to the place
- The number of times you have been caught in possession of the drugs
- Possession of firearms is disproved
- Felony charges don’t include murder or any form of injuries
- The offender is not proven to have distributed the drugs for sale
When faced with narcotics trafficking charges, you need to act fast. Make to hire the most trusted criminal defense lawyers in Michigan.
Rudoi Law is one of the best defense lawyers who have a proven track record over the years of intensive representations in various courts and the best team of defense attorneys who can help you with your case.
Get a free consultation now by visiting their office in 104 W. Fourth St., Suite 210, Royal Oak, MI 48067 or call them at (248) 935-9074.